Sunday 4 January 2015

Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole

 Yo yo people I'm back, again and this time I have a different sort of blog post for you! Since it's the new year, I sat down and brainstormed a whole lot of ideas for this blog in 2015! Thank you and a little shoutout to my friend who stayed up late talking to me about ideas, I will try use all of your ideas, I promise. So one of the ideas was to have a bit of a series, and one of those series was 'Cooking With Sarah Judith'! I'm super keen for it, as I am for many things. So as a first instalment of the series, here is the first recipe: 

Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole
Preparation Time: 20 minutes     Cooking Time: 1 hour     Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 medium eggplants (600g), sliced thickly
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 10 spring onions (250g), trimmed
  • 150g green beans, trimmed, halved
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 trimmed celery stalks (300g), sliced thinly
  • 2 x 310g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
  • 4 large tomatoes (1kg), peeled, chopped finely
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/160 degrees Celsius fan-forced. Preheat grill. 
  2. Place eggplant slices on greased oven tray; brush lightly with about half of the oil. Place under hot grill until browned both sides. 
  3. Heat remaining oil in large flame-proof casserole dish; cook onion, stirring, until onion is browned lightly. Boil, steam or microwave beans until tender; drain. 
  4. Stir in eggplant, garlic, celery, chickpeas, tomato and herbs. Cook, covered, in oven for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven; stir in paste and beans. 

And there you have it! A super yummy casserole dish, which is vegetarian! Don't worry, not all my dishes will be vegetarian, I just had some eggplant left over. As the recipe does make 4 servings, I had to half the ingredients as I knew no one else in my family would eat it as they'd all be asking 'where's the meat?' So I made 2 servings, which I ate one and kept the rest in a container, ready for me to eat at work in one of my breaks.

Send me your results! I'll be excited to see what people do with this recipe.

Sarah Judith xx

No comments:

Post a Comment