Yo yo people I'm back, again and this time I have a different sort of blog post for you! Since it's the new year, I sat down and brainstormed a whole lot of ideas for this blog in 2015! Thank you and a little shoutout to my friend who stayed up late talking to me about ideas, I will try use all of your ideas, I promise. So one of the ideas was to have a bit of a series, and one of those series was 'Cooking With Sarah Judith'! I'm super keen for it, as I am for many things. So as a first instalment of the series, here is the first recipe:
Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Serves: 4
- 2 medium eggplants (600g), sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 spring onions (250g), trimmed
- 150g green beans, trimmed, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 trimmed celery stalks (300g), sliced thinly
- 2 x 310g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 4 large tomatoes (1kg), peeled, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/160 degrees Celsius fan-forced. Preheat grill.
- Place eggplant slices on greased oven tray; brush lightly with about half of the oil. Place under hot grill until browned both sides.
- Heat remaining oil in large flame-proof casserole dish; cook onion, stirring, until onion is browned lightly. Boil, steam or microwave beans until tender; drain.
- Stir in eggplant, garlic, celery, chickpeas, tomato and herbs. Cook, covered, in oven for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven; stir in paste and beans.
And there you have it! A super yummy casserole dish, which is vegetarian! Don't worry, not all my dishes will be vegetarian, I just had some eggplant left over. As the recipe does make 4 servings, I had to half the ingredients as I knew no one else in my family would eat it as they'd all be asking 'where's the meat?' So I made 2 servings, which I ate one and kept the rest in a container, ready for me to eat at work in one of my breaks.
Send me your results! I'll be excited to see what people do with this recipe.
Sarah Judith xx